MISO MARKET SUPPORT SERVICES
CMPAS offers MISO support services that include:
- Energy Scheduling
- MISO Tariff Recovery of Transmission Investments
- MISO Congestion Hedging Strategies using ARR/FTR’s
- MISO Resource Adequacy support
CMPAS performs MISO energy scheduling services for municipal utility members and Iowa affiliate members in Cedar Falls, Montezuma and Eldridge. Through its project-oriented business model, CMPAS can schedule a utility’s entire full-requirements or partial-requirements energy portfolio.
Customized energy management system (EMS) software serves as the centerpiece of our scheduling services. The EMS tool facilitates the segregation of each member and affiliate's power supply costs on an hourly basis, schedules and records all physical and financial transactions, performs shadow settlement calculations, and produces a verifiable audit trail.
The CMPAS EMS software fully integrates the following functions:
- SCADA acquisition of load and generation data
- Ventyx® load forecasting software
- Interface for submitting energy schedules to the MISO Portal
- Transaction scheduling
- Data archiving
- Shadow settlement calculation
- MISO billing reconciliation
Our EMS system can customize functions to accommodate a utility's specific needs:
- Querying capabilities for performing “after the fact analysis” and for creating customized management reports;
- Easy-to-understand daily day ahead and real-time position screens;
- Easy-to-understand MISO billing summaries;
- Remote Web accessibility; and
- Text messaging and smartphone compatibility.
MISO TRANSMISSION SERVICES
Registered as a MISO TO (Transmission Owner), CMPAS can apply for tariff rate recovery on the agency-sponsored CAPX Brookings transmission investment by filing a MISO Attachment O tariff worksheet. We also act as the designated agent on behalf of municipal members and affiliates in filing for tariff recovery for assets that they own.
Additionally, CMPAS can arrange for delivery in MISO that involves submitting transmission service requests (TSRs) for MISO point to point or network transmission service and can initiate transmission delivery studies that is required to accredit member excess capacity for sale to another entity.
CMPAS can also arrange for generation interconnection studies with MISO. A generation interconnection study is required before interconnecting generation to the MISO network grid.
MISO CONGESTION HEDGING
Hedging brings a level of cost certainty to portfolio management. CMPAS can assist municipals in developing congestion hedging strategies that reduce energy market risk by using a utility’s financial transmission rights in two ways:
- Maximizing annual Auction Revenue Rights (ARRs)
- Utilizing ARRs to secure appropriate financial transmission rights (FTRs) hedge positions
MISO RESOURCE ADEQUACY
CMPAS supports municipals in complying with MISO Resource Adequacy Requirements and assists with the following:
- Long-Term Forecasting of your Capacity Requirements
- MISO Capacity Accreditation and Capability Reporting
- MISO Module e-filing
- MISO Capacity Auction
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT OFFERINGS