MISO MARKET SUPPORT Services
CMPAS performs MISO energy scheduling services for municipal utility members and Iowa affiliate members in Cedar Falls, Montezuma and Eldridge. Since 2006, the Agency has used its project-oriented framework to schedule a utility's full-requirements or partial-requirements energy portfolio.
Customized energy management system (EMS) software serves as the centerpiece of our scheduling services. The EMS tool facilitates the segregation of each member and affiliate's power supply costs on an hourly basis, schedules and records all physical and financial transactions, performs shadow settlement calculations, and produces a verifiable audit trail.
The CMPAS EMS software fully integrates the following functions:
- SCADA acquisition of load and generation data
- Ventyx® load forecasting software
- MISO portal interface for submitting energy schedules
- Transaction scheduling
- Data archiving
- Shadow settlement calculation
- MISO billing reconciliation
Our EMS system can customize functions to accommodate a utility's specific needs:
- Querying capabilities for performing “after the fact analysis” and for creating customized management reports;
- Easy-to-understand daily day ahead and real-time position screens;
- Easy-to-understand MISO billing summaries;
- Remote web accessibility; and
- Text messaging and smartphone compatibility.
MISO CONGESTION HEDGING
Hedging brings a level of cost certainty to portfolio management. CMPAS can assist municipals in developing congestion hedging strategies that reduce energy market risk by using a utility’s financial transmission rights (FTRs) in two ways:
- Maximizing annual auction revenue rights (ARR’s)
- Utilizing ARRs to secure appropriate financial transmission rights hedge positions